Monday, August 19, 2013

The Language Of Dreams

My Photograph
I saw myself standing on a cliff near the ocean. The pristine water bubbled and foamed below with a mix of various shades of blue and green.  I was intrigued watching the waves slapping against the cliff face, almost like a creature desperately trying its best to get a firm grip and climb onto the safety of the land above it.  The time appeared to be evening and not so far away I saw Seagulls calling out and flying motionlessly, in the same spot without the slightest movement from their feathers.  I continued watching them until an Albatross caught my attention. I was amazed looking at it as it flew continuously from my left to my right and back again.  As I continued watching it I saw that it hesitated, almost as if it was undecided in what its next action should be.  Clouds in the sky began to form and the whole scene was painted with a greyish light.  The Albatross then circled below, over the waves and suddenly shot straight up heavenward till it was almost out of sight.  Then after a few heart stopping seconds, it dived down as if all control over its flight had been lost.  I gasped as it hit the face of the water and disappeared altogether.  I searched the waves below for any sign of it. None was to be seen. Then almost instantly the clouds in the sky began to spread themselves and soft and warm ray of sunshine hit the surface of the water.  Instantly, the Albatross reappeared, where the light touched the waves, with a fish in its mouth, soared again and dashed towards my right, disappearing in the distance.  The clouds remained as they were but I began to feel a strong gale rising and blowing against my skin.  I wrapped myself tighter in my jacket and looked around. 

My Photograph
Not a human in sight.  Away from the cliff, the remainder of the plateau had low bushes and towards the left I could see the outline of mountains. I pondered on what I was doing here and if I should move away from the spot I was standing on.  That’s when I heard a soft voice called to me.  I turned and saw nothing. But again, the voice called. I listened.  “You are here because you choose to be!” “Why?” I cried out! “You are here because you have a goal you wish to achieve but you fear failure and hence haven’t tested your abilities as yet. In order to do so you need to jump off this cliff and fly” the voice said. “What? But how can I fly, I have no wings?”  I gasped.  “Try to fly and you will see that you have more than you thought possible.” “What? I can’t” I said. “Just try…..”  said the voice and it faded away never to be heard again.  Irritated and confused I looked around once more. “Had the voice been right?” I thought. “Was I letting fear grip me and strangle the magic that lay within?”  I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, whispered a prayer of thanks, raised my hands and jumped off the cliff.  When I opened my eyes again I saw that I was indeed flying far above the cliff without any major effort.  “I can’t believe it!” I said to myself. I yelled out in joy and flew around testing my flying abilities.  Sure enough, my inner being knew how and I soared high above the clouds.  Once above, the brilliant sun shone upon my being and I flew towards it. “Brilliant! If I could do so much, how much more can I do?”  

My Photograph
As I came closer to the Sun, I heard something and turned.  There flying next to me was Viktor Frankl himself. The man I hadn't seen for many months since our short talk in Berlin [*See "Next Take!" article - "A New Dawn"].  Viktor smiled and beckoned with his head for me to follow.  I turned as he did and we passed out of the Earth’s atmosphere, headed towards a bright collection of galaxies in the distance.  “I told you before, to find your purpose Rohan.  I hope now, you realize that when you start to focus on that, the universe will reorient itself to make you achieve it.  And as a guide for you to follow, the way in which it tells you what to do next, is through your dreams. Always pay attention to your dreams, they are the secret language, the cryptic code that contain all the answers you need to allow you to reunite your true self with your living self.”  He smiled and we sped even closer to the galaxies beyond.  “You have found your purpose. But you still fear failure.  This dream you’re having is to remind you that no matter how great the odds or how difficult it may seem, know that anything can be achieved.  All you have to do is to believe!” said Viktor. He added “The Albatross you saw was an example for you.  When he decided that he wouldn't let the fear of drowning defeat him, he realized that he needed great speed and distance in order to penetrate the waves effectively in order to get his fish.  Unlike the Seagulls you saw, who remained undecided and hence would never experience any victory in their life. So pay attention to the lesson here and you shall win, for there is much more to this universe and to life than what conventional wisdom will present you with!”

I awoke on this morning and saw the early sunrise outside my window.  The city was awakening.  I still remembered every detail of what my dream had revealed.  Today I was going to believe and live as I should. Next Take please!

My Photograph



3 comments:

  1. Very well written post with beautiful pics..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much A Homemaker's Utopia! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much A Homemaker's Utopia! :-)

    ReplyDelete