(*This "Next Take!" article contains original artwork by the author!)
- Taking time out to study and know the major wildlife sanctuaries around the country.
- Visiting the nearest ones and documenting what we see i.e. photographs & video recordings. Showing these to friends and relatives along with that sanctuary’s current wildlife statistics. Thereby, garnering interest and support.
- Discouraging, educating and if necessary, rebuking those people we know who have bought or still buy wild animal based products.
- Engaging with forest official department heads, while visiting wildlife sanctuaries and finding out ways in which they currently get aid and support. Plus, checking to see how we can help.
- Searching for and engaging with wildlife documentary film makers and understanding how they help with conservation efforts.
- Establishing a National Wildlife Corporation, with relevant citizen chapters in each city to oversee a particular zone e.g. Mumbai for the Western Region.
- Creating a corporate hierarchy, complete with a board of directors and president as well as a manager for each of the four major zones - North, West, South and East.
- The corporation could consist of well-known animal rights activists, who would ensuretransparency, accountability and provide detailed reports to local citizens through various communication channels as well as the media.
- Speaking to National and Multi-National Corporations for providing aid and support.
- Establishing a strong linkage with key regional Wildlife NGO’s and publications to lend grass root support.
- Establishing a strong linkage with key international Wildlife NGO’s in order to provide and share expert advice and best practices.
- Creating a lobby panel to further engage with the Environmental Ministry about security measures that may be adopted.
- Identifying security firms that could assist in providing support to forest officials in preventing poaching.
- Using the Right To Information (RTI) Act to get details on cases of poaching and the action has been taken so far. The same may be highlighted in the media.